The region of development
The incentives and the services
Informative tools for territorial marketing
Faenza, 21 September 2007 ¿ From Faenza to the Bermudas, taking its place under the umbrella of one of the world's giants in the sectors of security, air conditioning, industrial solutions and infrastructures. Based in the Ravenna area, Cisa s.p.a. (“Costruzioni Italiani Serrature e Affini”, i.e. Italian Construction of Locks and Similar things) is one of Europe's leading names in the field of locking and controlled access systems, and has been taken over by Ingersoll-Rand, which is based in Hamilton , capital of the Bermuda archipelago. The purchase took place in two phases: an initial 30% during the first quarter of 2002 and the remaining 70% in January 2005.
From the multinational's point of view this was a strategic decision, as is underlined by Alessandro Nanni, regional manager for Italy of Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies European Served. “Cisa is a solid group with activities focussed on innovative technologies, and with competitive brands present on markets all over the world. The acquisition of Cisa broadens Ingersoll-Rand's geographical presence in the security sector through a robustly consolidated European platform that can enable it to take advantage of global growth.”
Thanks to Cisa, continues Nanni, “Ingersoll-Rand Security today has manufacturing units in Italy , Spain , France , Russia , Albania and Venezuela . In the wake of this purchase IR is well placed to penetrate Southern and Eastern Europe, two thriving high potential markets for Cisa products.”
The Faenza group's products have thus strengthened Ingersoll's portfolio in the security sector: locking systems for all kinds of doors, electronic locks, panic bars, door closers, safes and padlocks. Cisa's tradition in the world of locks goes back to 1926, when the company (then based in Florence ) invented and patented the product which revolutionised the principle of operating heavy doors and gates: the world's first electronically controlled lock.
Ever since, Cisa has continued to develop without pause, even when its factory was destroyed during the Second World War. It resumed activity in Faenza in 1944 and then in 1970 expanded its production capacity with new plants in Monsampolo del Tronto ( Ascoli Piceno ) and Tavernelle ( Perugia ). In 1983 it set up a new factory in Spain (Cisa Cerraduras), and in 1992 bought Bricard, a French company specialised in aesthetically sophisticated locks, and also inaugurated Cisa UK . Thanks to the purchase of existing companies or the creation of new ones, markets outside Europe have been conquered from bases in Venezuela , South Africa and Singapore .
In Italy alone Cisa's annual turnover for 2006 came to 145 million euros, following the previous year's 125 million.